Thursday 14 June 2007

The Ruth-ven Boulder

Hello!

If your wondering: 'Why, Mike, have you hyphenated "Ruthven"? Surely its not another spelling mistake which your blog is becoming renowned for?' Well the answer is that the hyphen is indeed deliberate. All will be revealed as the story unfolds...

I need driving lessons so I thought, I know - why not next some of my good old school buddy's, to see who they recommend. Within seconds of sending out texts, I was bombarded with replies, owing to the fact that I'm still immensely popular with these people, despite not speaking to them much for about a year. One reply was from a girl called.... Ruth... who I used to go out with back in the day. I hadn't seen her much since she ---- ruthlessly dumped me a year ago, so when she asked if I 'wana do sumfin?', I debated with myself how much my girlfriend Cath, would mind. Seeing as she knows I'm a trustworthy kinda guy I decided that it wouldn't be too bad an idea to see her again. I was kinda bored sitting at home and should've been looking for a job so a distraction wouldn't be too bad ayee?

Ruth picked me up outside Tesco and I complemented her on her new set of wheels. She asked, 'where do you want to go?' and I kindly suggested going out to the Ruthven boulder. ('I thought we'd go get a coffee or something?' - 'No'). All went fine, the car journey went with out breaking down and we caught up. She told me about how she was desperate for a boyfriend to which I replied 'Sorry love, you've missed your chance with me'. I thought it'd be best to clear that up sooner, rather than later. Being the caring kinda guy that I am, I didn't want her to build up any false hope.

This blog entry could maybe turn a little uncouth, so its at this point we arrive at the boulder and Ruth goes for away a walk, the climbing begins. I've done most the problems here but it was ace to go there and get most of them first or second try of the day. Problems like Sloping off, V4, The Cheeky Girls, V3, Razor's Edge, V7, and Barry Manilow, V6, were done in this fashion. I then tried some that I hadn't climbed, but had tried before. I did the Big Lobowski, V6, after a few tries to work out a good sequence, and then the sit start just to the right of Big Lobo on small crimps. Ben showed it me last year though I couldn't remember the name or grade but think it was about V7 and definitely not one for sore skin.

It was then project time and bugger me, this project is hard.... Excellent. The holds are barely holdable and there is a notable lack of them at the crucial moment. But I'm sure there's a way, it will go - because they always do.

Ruth, by this point had returned from her walk and said she was cold. Courageously, I suggested we should head home. On the way I remembered I was meeting Andy at the wall so it was back to my house to pick up a sandwich, my harness and my wee bro (who's becoming a climbing machine) and onward towards the sports centre. On the way, Edd said 'Mike, what's Cath gonna think about you spending all your time with your ex' which made Ruth all defensive which made me slightly worried which made Edd laugh. Getting out of the car I thanked Ruth very much for what must have been a 25 mile round trip.

On the way up the ramp, Edd asked where I went to day and I told him. 'You went to Ruthven with Ruth?' - 'Yes, what's so funny about that?... o wait - Ruthven hahaha, Edd! What a good joke!!'

Cheerio Team,
Mike

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

hmmm good joke reminds me a bit of auchinSTRARRY!.....not pleased with your rise on the e point rankings so had to send an update got 43 now Simon has 25. good to here your getting out plenty

Mike said...

I thought so too, though my dad seemed to think that going for a drive with an ex, while your girlfriend is 100 miles away, then bragging about it on a website is a sure way to get dumped. Ooo no happy about your catching up... sounds like you've been busy too!

Anonymous said...

Yup been pretty busy just climbed 5 days in a row! hows the jobhunting going? i'm working in tisos. Must admit didnt think a story about spending quality time with the ex was a great idea. just glad when she went for a walk this time you stayed behind!!

Mike said...

I learnt my lesson.