Saturday 7 April 2007

Past Week News


I'll kick off this blog entry with good news - the blog has made the big time! It now has a link to it from the famous Dave Macleod blog! This gets 9 thumbs up out of 9 and my own personal hurray!

This is no time to rest and take it easy, indeed some of you may be thinking 'there's mike... he's good at climbing, but he's not that good... what's he done on grit? his blog has a link to it from dave's blog, but it hasn't had an entry in a week...'

I hope this entry will silence these critics (except those who are saying 'whats he done on grit?') as I intend to make it a doubly good one!

Last sunday, the climbing action was out at Goat crag yet again. I managed to tick Too Old to be Famous, and added the 7b to my 8a.nu account! Nic managed Goat prow giving him a 7c to add to his 8a.nu collection and increasing his route climbing lead over me :(

Stork seems to have had made progress even with shredded finger tips coming agonisingly close to climbing through the crux. Word is he's sent it now and gave it 7c+, good effort! Pics...

Appologies for the slopey horizon

Not as noticable here!


Monday, I went to the wall with my wee bro, Edd, and his pal Calum. I changed the start to the small bits of blue tape boulder problem mentioned earlier, making it better and harder. Fell off the top move which was a bit upsetting :(

Tuesday, I was off to Donegal, Ireland, for some family fun in the sun. This meant asking on website forums and friends what the climbing is like there. And from what I saw, its not bad at all! I had one day climbing with Edd at a place called Muckross Head, which is a totally wild, remote and imposing sea crag west of Donegal. It has huge roofs which gave me the collywobbles when I tried to climb them. The cliffs compare pretty well with anything I've seen (though I'm yet to experience the renowned Aberdeen sea cliffs!). On another trip to the seaside I found a nice boulder problem on the rocks at the shore. If any one wants to go repeat it, its about V4 (probably over graded because I climbed it in my socks) at Trabane. Ask if your desperate for more info. WARNING: I would only suggest going there if you want to enjoy the remote senic beauty and not for a boulder sesh. Cheers to John Watson for a lend of a map and guide of the area!

Edd Grinning at Muckross (dead lambs in the background)

Where are all the other climbers?

Me, my big bro Dave and my mum


Next week I'm back in Glasgow so I'm looking forward to catching up with all my Dumby friends after my three week holiday and hopefully climb some routes to catch up with Nic on 8a.nu and, if I'm feeling strong, go for an onsight of Chemin de Fer...!

So its cheerio to Inverness buddies, and see you soon to Glasgow buddies!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

look at me! im so pretty!!
Edd

Anonymous said...

Hey Mike,
Dont suppose you remember me.Met u in a pub in Donegal town there last thurs April 5 playin a few tunes at the bar.Most impressed with the climbin there man.You prob told me you were up at Muckcross but i forgot in my drunken haze.please find our address below and check some of the tunes out.if you like them send a message and then please tell your friends
all the best man,
Tommy