Saturday 24 March 2007

The Strathnairn Double

Today, hard projects were out again at Brin, with the afternoon session at the Ruthven Boulder with Nic and donald. The good news is my very generous mum gave us a lift out and Nic's very generous mum gave us a lift between and back. Nic's mum decided she would go for a cycle in the scenic strathnairn surroundings, which I could maybe see as enjoyable if you had a bike that actually goes and no bouldermat.

So after arriving at Brin we headed up to the Brin done before prow. I was hoping to send the demons of yesterdays failure to hell, along with the problem (send it the HELL!!!). With the extra convidence of another mat and a spotter I manged to get it first time, which I was very happy about. :)

Here's a short video of me on the problem, thanks to Nic Duboust:



We then headed down the slope to something a bit easier and alot less scarey. We pottered around from boulder to boulder for a bit before attempting Lip Trip, a V4 traverse, sent first by Nic and then a couple of tries later by myself.

Nic flailing and failing on the last move of Lip Trip

Myself, working hard on the same problem.

We then walked along the boggy path to the Den boulder for some ramp spanking. I managed this problem first try, though have a feeling I've done it before, and Nic managed it soon after.

Nic Spanking the ramp.

After this we tried Graeme's Pinch, a V6 just to the left of Spank the Ramp. This provided quite a test. From the sit starting crimps you make a series of throws to more crimps (not good for the skin!) then set up for this throw to a slopper with about an eighth of a pad thumb catch!! Then you have to swing your feet up right and really lock off on the pinch, get the next crimp with your left hand and jump for the top jug. Really good problem and I was really chuffed to stick the top dyno. Nic was less fortunate and never sent the problem. :(.

Me working the first moves of 'Graeme's Pinch'


Here's another video from Nic this time with multi angles! loving it -



We were then joined by Donald and Nic's mum, Sheena, and she drove us across to the Ruthven boulder. I found I had very sore skin by this point so tried to aviod any sharp crimps. I tried a project that I knew Ben had been trying, just right of Sloping Off. Progress was made - I managed one move that, as far as I'm awear, no one has managed. Not only that, I managed to look at the next hold! ... It was more of a glance, but still... progress!

It was then round to the boulder off the back of the main block where I tried to repeat my own 'Night Moves' which is a V5 on the far side (from the path), sit starting on good holds, throwing round the buldge to a slopey side pull, pull round the buldge and finish up slopers. The friction today was too bad and I ended up with a wet bum. :(

So, with very little skin we headed home and discovered amoung other things, Nic was ashamed of having closet hexes.

1 comment:

anna said...

waaaayyy!! i like!!