Sunday 23 January 2011

Fundamentals

It's a strange thing, when I was in 2nd year undergrad, a course text book was "Advanced Calculus" by Dr Ian Murphy, a superb lecturer whose most iconic moment was in a lecture full of lethargic and drowsy students. He stopped mid way, turned, and did a handstand, his feet against the chalk boards! So the rumour goes anyway... The point I was going to make was that now, as a post grad, the textbook titles are Fundamentals of Light Microscopy... Which is isn't the best for morale but I guess only because of the synonym with beginner.

Dr Murphy

For the first time in some years, I've bought a wall pass. One month of climbing paid for in advance, and I hope to make the most of it. I even went as far as looking up some sport science although my flatmate Murdoch laughed at me and my sources.

If I was to write a book about climbing fundamentals, chapter one would be on free body diagrams, climbing statics and climbing dynamics. Chapter two on muscles, which I don't understand and would get Murdoch to write. That'd be it I think. I wouldn't have a chapter telling people what to do psychologically, other than you need to be able to do handstands. That could be in prologue.

1 comment:

Dave Redpath said...

Which chapter would starjumps come under?